Saturday, March 01, 2008

northstar - broken parachute ep

Northstar - Broken Parachute EP
Release Date: January 8, 2008
Record Label: Speak Music Media


"So tell me why I break in pieces for hopeless reasons,
Stereo therapy heals my lesions,
Do you know what it's like to hurt at night for oh no reason?
Do you know what its like?"

While it isn't a full length album or anything we haven't heard before (for the most part), hearing that Northstar was making any kind of music again made me really excited. I've been a Northstar fan for about four years now and each time I listen to their music I am overcome with an amazing feeling. It brings me back to the days where I still was forming a musical taste. It's sort of my anthem, the music that defines me. They're the band that never leaves me, that never will. I think most people who find a band they love will admit, it is so hard to explain what kind of impact a certain kind of music has on them. There are just some bands that will be with us forever, even if they are gone from the scene. Those are the bands that, no matter what, will never be forgotten. As long as there is one person who remembers them, they are not gone.

This EP contains nine b-side tracks, six of which are re-releases. It contains two new versions of "Broken Parachute." The first is an alternate version of the song. The alternate has a better quality of sound and the vocals are much cleaner than the original. The second is a demo version that was not originally on the EP until Nick Torres found it by accident while looking through some of his old tapes. It's part of a three song demo that is dated pre-Is This Thing Loaded? The other two songs on that demo found by Nick Torres are on this EP as well. There are demos of both "Is This Thing Loaded?" and "Taker Not a Giver."

Perhaps my favorite parts of this EP are the acoustic versions of two of my favorite Northstar songs: "For Members Only" and "My Ricochet." These alternate versions were available on Northstar's myspace account as well as Speak Music Media's myspace account before the release of the EP, so I already listened to them. However, seeing them all together with the other b-sides on a finished product made them even better. In my opinion, the acoustic version of "My Ricochet" is one of the most beautiful songs the band has ever done. If I had listened to the acoustic version before the album version, I would probably have swore that the acoustic is the original. It gives off a certain acoustic vibe as if it were meant to be done that way. This version of "For Members Only" is also great. It's a slower version with softer vocals...a totally different approach to one of the band's most well known songs.

Two wonderful surprises for me were the instrumental tracks, "Black Heart Valentine" and "Piano Jam." While neither song contains vocals, they are excellent additions to the Northstar library of songs and something different from what Northstar fans are used to. The EP also contains a excellent cover of the song "Chesterfield King" which was originally done by the band Jawbreaker, on their 1992 album Bivouac.

Whether you are a casual fan trying out a new band a little too late or a die-hard fan looking to complete your Northstar catalog, this is a must have EP.

Tracklist
1. "Broken Parachute" (alternate version)
2. "My Ricochet" (acoustic)
3. "For Members Only" (acoustic)
4. "Chesterfield King" (Jawbreaker cover)
5. "Piano Jam"
6. "Taker Not a Giver" (demo)
7. "Is This Thing Loaded" (demo)
8. "Broken Parachute" (demo)
9. "Black Heart Valentine" (piano)


Northstar is:
Nick Torres - Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Magnus
Tyler Odom - Guitar, Vocals
Jake Fisher - Bass, Vocals, Guitar
Gabe Renfroe - Drums


Myspace
Purevolume
Speak Music Media

No comments: