Thursday, January 08, 2009

movie review: seven pounds

" Seven Pounds "
'Seven Names. Seven Strangers. One Secret.'
Directed by Gabriele Muccino
Released: December 19th, 2008

Maybe I'm just weird, but my favorite part about going to the movie theaters isn't always to see the feature film...it's usually to watch the previews. Sometimes if I get to the theater late and I miss the previews, I can become violent. It doesn't happen often, but it's serious business. Trailers are typically put together of scenes from the film that make you say "wow, I really have to see this movie." However, Seven Pounds did no such thing.

When I first saw the trailer, I thought it was very broad. It didn't explain much at all. Little did I know this would turn out to be a good thing.

This review is hard to write because the entire movie, basically, is one big secret. I have never seen a movie like this because it's just a chain of snowballing events that culminate in an eye opening and touching finish. To explain one part of the movie would be to divulge the entire plot which I definitely don't want to do.

While the ending is somewhat predictable, director Gabriele Muccino more than likely had every intention to do so in the first place. He subtly unraveled the plot so that you gained insight to the main characters over time. It was not a bombshell twist, rather one that you could absorb as the movie progressed. I think it was this element that made the ending so enjoyable: I knew what would happen at the end of the film, but when it finally happened it still moved me emotionally.

I really don't want to explain anything about the movie other than it was really, really great. It's great for people who like very secretive films with plot twists or people who love Will Smith [because he did a wonderful job with this character]. Props to director Gabriele Muccino for making this so enjoyable, especially considering he is just beginning to make Hollywood films after becoming a successful director in Italy.

My rating: 8.5/10
Positives: Great acting from both Will Smith and Rosario Dawson, emotional ending, good twist
Negatives: Ending is somewhat predictable (even if intentional)

No comments: